Much has been written about Poodles and Yorkies and Labradors, but have you read about Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers?
They aren’t one of the most popular dogs, but they are indeed a fantastic family addition and can be a great companion to children. Continue reading to learn more about these terrific Terriers.
- The Wheaten Terrier for sale made its first appearance in the United States in the 1940’s by Lydia Vogel in Massachusetts.
- Before they became the larger size that they are currently, early terriers in Ireland were small, farm dogs that alerted the farmers of strangers.
- The Irish Kennel Club recognized the dogs as a breed in 1937.
- They captured vermin such as mice and hunted badgers and foxes for farmers.
- The American Kennel Club (AKC) recognized the Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier in 1973. It currently ranks 59th among the breeds registered by AKC.
- Wheaten Terriers have hair that is different from most terriers. It is soft and silky and curly.
- They are very gentle and get along well with kids of all ages and can join a home with other pets.
- Like most terriers, your Wheaten Terrier for sale will be a little stubborn!
- Their signature coat is colored beige, but they don’t reach that full color until adulthood. Before reaching maturity, they can be in a variety of colors.
- A Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier for sale became a national diving dog champion! The dog named Krista jumped over 10 feet into the water, earning her 1st place against Retrievers who are notoriously skilled divers.
We love Wheaten Terriers! They are full of personality and excellent home companions. If you’re interested in learning more, contact us today!